BOCKHORSTER VILLAGE CHURCH WITH TRIUMPH-CROSS
The Bockhorst village church was built during the 13th century. Until reconstruction in 1893, the church was a roman single nave church with a shallow wooden ceiling. The tower at the west end was added in 1723. In 1893 the building was renovated and expanded essentially. Up to then, the church only offered 300 seats. However, at least 100 seats more were needed to include the mass of believers on Sunday services. Hence, a side nave and galleries were built, as well as new chairs – made from oak wood. Furthermore, a gallery for the organ was subjoined. The old wooden ceiling was replaced with a new ark ceiling.
On the occasion of reconstruction, the workers discovered a formidable wooden cross, which people had forgotten about. With a height of 3,50m and a width of 1,50m the cross is impressively big. At this cross Jesus Christ is illustrated half alive and half death. He is not wearing the crown of thorns; instead he is adorned with the crown of heaven as a sign for his triumph about immortality. Nowadays, the cross of the Bockhurst church counts as the most complete and preserved triumph-cross, from the times of the Carolingian, to the north of the Alps. The original is presented in the state museum of Münster; the altar at the Bockhust church is ornamented with a small copy of the triumph-cross.
Shield No. 1