Already since 1870 the miller Heinrich Thies practiced the water and jam right on the new Hessel (river). He ground the corn with a stone mill which was maintained by a water turbine. When the water level was high enough up to 100 quintals grain could be ground in one day. The mill was also the first power generator of Oesterweg. Even before the founding of the electricity co-operative it produced, in combination of hydropower and a 27 PS oil engine, power for the peasantry on a small-scale. Until 1929, the mill was the main supplier of the co-operative; thereafter, Oesterweg signed an electricity supply contract with a company named Nike.
Shield No. 7