The ‘Wurstträgerbrunnen’ at the market square directly signposts to the traditional meat industry which is still, nowadays, an important economic sector for Versmold. Ham, bacon, and tea sausage spread were already the export hit during the 19th century. They were shipped up to Russia and overseas with help of the canvas traders. With an origin of butchering at the rural home, Versmold became the so-called ‘Wursteküche’ (sausage kitchen) of whole Westphalia. At this market square the birthplace of the Versmolder meat industry in the house Schlichtebrede, later house Middelkamp, can be localised. This family traded butter and fat, and textile and colonial fabrics. In 1913 the possession of the house was given to Heinrich Stockmeyer, who used to be a meat industry worker. During the 1950s and the 1960s the industry of this single business exploded. At the beginning of the 1980s the company resettled and expanded; the production in the city centre was stopped. Following that, the city centre was reformed and this well was built - called ‘Schweinebrunnen’ (pig well) in slang language of the citizens. Finally, up to date it represents the close relationship of Versmold and the meat industry.
Shield No. 1